02 Dec Poisonous Plants and Your Pet
If you suspect that your pet has ingested a toxic substance, contact your veterinarian or poison control immediately.
24/7 Animal Poison Control Center
$49 USD per incident fee applies
With the holidays in full swing here are a few tips to keep in mind when decorating with holiday plants. Juniper, holly and mistletoe are all toxic to your pets, poinsettias are mildly toxic to your cats and dogs, but care should also be taken to keep them away from them. Always be aware of the location of your plants in your yard or home. If you choose to use them in your decor, place them somewhere your pets cannot get to them. Ingestion of even small amounts of rhododendron or azalea, oleander, lily, or yew can be harmful or fatal to your pets. Below is the link to the Pet poison helpline: http://www.petpoisonhelpline.com/poisons/.
Symptoms of Plant Poisoning
- Irritation to skin and or mouth
- Vomiting (Note: vomiting is common after dogs or cats ingest plant material–seek care especially if vomiting accompanies other symptoms.))
Lilies Hazardous to Cats
- Members of the lily family (Easter, tiger, day, rubrum, Japanese show) are especially toxic to cats and can cause kidney failure within 72 hours. Lilies should be removed from homes with cats, or kept inaccessible.
Poisonous Plants (Note: This is not a comprehensive list of all poisonous plants. If a plant is not on the list, do not automatically consider it to be safe)
*=Highly Toxic: Contact your veterinarian immediately if your pet ingests one of these plants.